Tumescent liposuction is an arguably safer and more effective approach to traditional liposuction. As with traditional lipo, the surgeon first administers general anesthesia following which small cuts are made on the skin of the target area to insert a cannula, through which a wetting solution is administered and the liquefied fat is suctioned out.
However, tumescent lipo differs from regular liposuction in a few ways:
- First, the procedure does not involve the use of general anesthesia, which prevents the risk and after effects associated with it
- Second, the procedure uses a considerable amount of wetting solution or tumescent local anesthesia which reduces injury and facilitates faster healing
- Third, the method used to dislodge the fat cells - the surgeon uses ultrasound or laser to to make fat removal easier and highly effective.
The Tumescent Solution?
All liposuction procedures involve the infusion of wetting solutions into the fat deposits of the target skin area before the fat cells can be suctioned out. Before the discovery of wetting solutions, the suction was performed dry, causing heavy bleeding and bruising.
The wetting solution used for tumescent liposuction contains:
- Epinephrine - to help shrink blood vessels which reduces blood loss during the procedure.
- Salt water - the solution causes the site to swell and become firm so the surgeon can remove the fat deposits more smoothly and with less bleeding
- Lidocaine - to help numb the treatment site both before and after liposuction
The larger amounts of wetting solution help to reduce pain, bleeding, swelling, and even skin irregularities after the procedure, which in turn leads to shorter recovery time.
Is Tumescent Lipo right for you?
The treatment is safer and more effective than regular liposuction. Depending on the area to be treated, your surgeon may recommend ultrasound- or water-assisted liposuction, or even laser liposuction.
That said, tumescent liposuction can be successfully used to remove fat deposits on any part of your body.
To determine whether you’re a good candidate for tumescent liposuction, please visit any of our four locations for your consultation, to determine the best path to achieving your fat loss and body contouring goals.
*Results may vary from person to person